The economy sucks...

This is not a deep and analytical post regarding a larger issue that I know anything about. It's just some things that have been rumbling around in my brain for awhile, so I figured I'd put them out there, for other people to chew on. I don't really know squat about the economy, like most people I suppose I only know what I've been told. The economy sucks and people are losing jobs and homes and that sort of thing. The weird thing is, I'm pretty insulated from it, I guess. I'm in school right now and I'll be graduating soon, with hopes to get a job locally in the field I've been working in (which up to now has only been as a supply teacher). So that means, I'll be a full time early childhood educator, and I'll still be a struggling comic artist. I'm trying to make the leap to a full time comic artist, and I keep telling myself that this will be the year, but my wife and I recently bought a house, so I'd have to start out by making at least as much as I will be as a teacher (which is actually not all that unsubstantial). I hope that those people who have been affected by the poor economy don't think I'm trying to rub their noses in it, remember this is just one personal testimonial. That's all.

2009 is shaping up to be a pretty cool year, I think. I'm on the verge of putting out a new graphic novel (which was an old graphic novel, that we tweaked and are re-releasing, actually.) as well as starting up some new properties, trying to finish up some old properties and finding homes for some pitches and such. I'll be done school as I said, and most likely working full-time, which hopefully will provide some scratch for a con or two (I know I'll be doing Winnipeg, but also would like to make it to Chicago...) and will be hammering down the doors of Marvel and DC. Who will hopefully be in the position to hire new folks... So, we have to see how the failing economy will figure into all this, won't we?

Anyway, I hope everyone can batten down their hatches and ride this storm out. It seems that people are hopeful - there's a weird mix of optimism and dread out there. Maybe things will look better in the spring?

It's just around the corner, after all...

No comments: