How was your Valentine's Day?

Haha. Funny story, a few years ago, I tried to convince then fiance (now wife) lena that Valentine's Day was nothing but a big cash-grab cooked up by Hallmark and that we should boycott the whole thing. She was a bit put-off by my rant, i could tell, but otherwise really didn't have much comment on it, so I figured we were on the same wavelength, and didn't plan or do anything. Which ended up in bitter disappointment for all concerned - apparently she thought I was just airing my ridiculous ideas to her, as I sometimes do (and who knows, maybe she thought it was a cover for the most amazing Valentine's Day ever - hey he's PRETENDING that he doesn't want to celebrate Valentine's Day and will really be taking me out for a super romantic getaway) and I was caught unawares when she mentioned that , you know, maybe it would have been nice to ACTUALLY go out and do something on Valentine's. Well, we eventually got over it and ended up married in the end after all. Besides, I blame Warren Ellis, since I got the "horny werewolf/hallmark conspiracy" idea from his then prominent message board, "the engine", a place I spent a great deal of time. I eventually agreed (actually probably quicker than that, even) that V- Day is definitely worth celebrating, and so we have carried on the tradition to this day.

Well, except this year.

This year, we went for a nice dinner with my mother-in-law (who is as wonderful and sweet as you'll find) and while it wasn't romantic, it was one of the most pleasant dinners at Pizza Hut as you're going to get. Yes, Pizza Hut. No, it wasn't that bad.

Then last night, our friends invited us over for supper at their place, and I think by now the opportunity for a "proper" Valentine's Day has passed. But you know what? It didn't matter. Maybe it was because we had just gotten back from a very romantic honeymoon in Mexico or maybe it was because I wasn't going out of my way to prove that we didn't need some "made-up" holiday (aren't they all made-up, really?) to show our love, but for whatever the reason, it passed with little or no fanfare. Which is fine too. Maybe next year, I'll book the swankiest restaurant in town and shower her with roses and candy. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

So, today was Family Day in Ontario and we enjoyed a lazy day (well, some cleaning and tidying and organizing in there too) and tomorrow it's back to the grind. As for the rest of tonight, I'm going to see if I can get to the drawing board in the next few hours left before bed and maybe get something scanned and posted up here.

Anyway, happy belated Valentine's Day and all that. See you soon.

No comments: