The futility of Rob Liefeld

I saw something funny just a few moments ago and immediately this post sprang to mind. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Rob or anything - quite the contrary, I've heard he's quite a nice guy. I don't think his art is particularly good, but then I'm sure lots of folks don't think my art is fantastic either - that's the beauty of art, it's subjective. One man's trash is another man's treasure. That said, this was too good to pass up.

For those not in the know, Rob Liefeld is an artist who became a big name during the 90's comics resurgence period and has managed to hang on throughout the late 90's bust era, bankruptcies, getting kicked out of the company he co-founded, and all sorts of other stuff. He was a superstar at one point, early on (he even did a famous Levi's Jeans commercial):



so that may have helped. Once in awhile he puts something out there that elicits a reaction from me.

You may have heard, either on CNN or through other sources, the HUGE reaction that Marvel Comics got from releasing their special "Barack Obama/Spider-Man" cover. I think maybe Rob was going for the same thing? I don't think he'll get it, but maybe I'll be wrong... we'll see.

What do YOU think?

No comments: